How many different programs within Alamo 180 have you done?
- Beginner Freestyle Swim Series
- Better Freestyle Swim Series
- Rookie To Race (Beginner Triathlon)
- How to do flip turns and wall touches Swim Clinic
Why do you CrossFit?
My motive to finally do CrossFit is because I signed up for a Deca Challenge for the Texas Senior Games and two events I needed help with: Pull-ups and Power Cleans. You-Tube was not cutting it, especially for the Power Cleans.
What is your favorite workout? Least favorite?
- My favorite workout is anything that I can do and do well.
- My least favorite is anything that I suck at.
What is something people don’t know about you?
I joined the Army at 17, 3 weeks after graduating from high school. I only joined for the College Fund but 22 years later, I retired. I joined as Private Benjamin and retired a Sergeant Major so I will say that leaders are made. I never saw myself staying in the Army longer than 3 years.
Hobbies outside of fitness?
I love Gardening and have 9 beds that always have something growing. I am also a Texas Master Naturalist so I spend a lot of time on trail maintenance, butterfly surveys or anything outdoors.
What are you training for right now?
There are so many great events and it is so easy to want to do them all. Last year, I signed up for way too many and by the end of the summer, I was wiped out. This year, I am focusing on the Texas Senior Games. I have signed up for 4 events.
- 20K Cycling which will be the first time I raced in a bike only event
- 5k Run
- Deca Challenge consisting of Power Clean, Push-up, Pull-up, Kneeling Ball Toss, Vertical Jump and Plank and then some sprinting events: 100m, 400m, and 1500m
- Triathlon which will be the Tri for Old Glory in July
And I am also preparing for my first CrossFit competition and it has the word massacre in it.
Favorite cheat meal?
I eat pretty clean because I eat whatever my garden gives me plus a protein. I believe everything in moderation. I have a no-cook on Friday policy which means a Hot and Ready from Little Caesar’s will do. I like ice-cream and if I am going to eat it, it will be full fat with several goodies in it Like Double cookie crumble with caramel, chocolate covered nuts, and swirls of chocolate.
What advice would you give to someone just starting out with CrossFit?
Stick with it. There are alternates to every exercise so that you can get something out of it.