Guidelines for Fluid Needs During Exercise
Hydration Before Exercise
- Drink about 15-20 fl oz, 2-3 hours before exercise
- Drink 8-10 fl oz 10-15 min before exercise
Hydration During Exercise
- Drink 8-10 fl oz of WATER every 10-15 min during exercise
- If exercising longer than 90 minutes, drink 8-10 fl oz of a SPORTS DRINK every 15 – 30 minutes. This is important as it will replace lost electrolytes and provide the needed calories for continuous performance.
Hydration After Exercise
- Weigh yourself before and after exercise and replace fluid losses.
- Drink 20-24 fl oz water for every 1 lb lost.
- Consume carbohydrate and protein within 30 min – 2 hours after exercise. The carbohydrate will replenish glycogen stores and the protein will repair muscle tissue. (Chocolate milk is a favorite among many!)
Fluid Needs Throughout the Day
It’s equally important to hydrate throughout the day. Limit the intake of soda, coffee and tea as these drinks, while delicious, contribute to dehydration. You do not have to eliminate them from your diet, just reduce the intake. For those that have a hard time drinking water, get creative. Put it in a coffee mug or use the plastic cups that come with a built-in straw (people tend to drink more fluids when sipping from a straw).