You’re ready to TRI!
Now, where do you start?
Start here at Alamo 180 by joining the Rookie to Race beginner triathlon program.
The Rookie to Race is our premier beginner training program designed to prepare rookie triathletes for a sprint triathlon race.
About the Program:
During the 6 week Rookie to Race program, you will be patiently guided in all three disciplines – swim, bike and run – alongside other beginners just like you!
Our highly successful approach is to teach you new triathlon skills and concepts each week. Expect patient guidance as you learn about the sport piece by piece, and build triathlon endurance week by week. We’re all about decreasing the overwhelm so you can learn quickly and easily.
Rookie to Race training plan: you will receive a training plan that details how to complete every workout – the coached and on your own workouts. The training plan has fitness level options for you to choose the level that best suits your needs. Select from beginner or intermediate fitness level.
Community: We are all about creating community and providing instruction beyond the coached workouts. To ensure you get the most out of the Rookie to Race program, when you join, you will be added to the private Facebook page. We also do regular Live videos diving deeper into triathlon during the week. Our goal is to educate, equip, and inspire you on your triathlon journey!
Save the dates for our TWO 2019 Rookie to Race programs!
Program #1: Start Date May 1, 2019. Program culminates with the Windcrest Freshman Triathlon on June 8, 2019 (registration closed).
Program #2: Start Date July 17, 2019. Program culminates with the Dam 09 Triathlon on Aug 24, 2019.
Rookie to Race program is 6 weeks in duration. Each week offers a coached Wednesday Swim and Thursday Run session. The coached Saturday Bike sessions are on alternating weekends (week 1, 3, and 5). There are a total of 15 coached triathlon sessions during the program (the rest of the workouts in the training plan are to be completed on your own).
If you would like to add CrossFit, Rookie to Race participants get a 10% discount on 5 and 10 class passes during the program. Learn more about our CrossFit program.
- Wednesdays 5:30 pm & 6:30pm. Swim workout. San Antonio College pool (offered weekly). *select either class time
- Thursdays 5:30pm & 6:30pm. Run workout. Edison Track (offered weekly). *select either class time
- Saturdays 9:00am. Bike + Run workout. Olmos Basin Park (offered on alternating weekends – 1st, 3rd and 5th).
$249 investment for the 6 week program.
- 15 coached triathlon sessions during the program,
- Rookie to Race 6 week training plan (select from Beginner or Intermediate training level),
- Inclusion in the private Alamo 180 Triathlon Facebook group page,
- Monthly Q&A Coaching access via Live videos on the private Facebook group,
- 10% discount on CrossFit 5 and 10 class passes (during the 6 weeks),
- Discounts/Priority registration on Alamo 180 Triathlon Clinics (during the 6 weeks),
- Discounts on sponsor products and services,
- Be part of a welcoming and fun triathlon culture!
Join the Rookie to Race program and see your triathlon dreams come true!
*registration closed for Program #1.
*deadline to register for Program #2 is Tuesday, July 16 at midnight.
Going beyond the Rookie to Race program? If your goal is to eventually complete a Half or Full Ironman, the Rookie to Race program is the perfect launching point. Begin your triathlon lifestyle with a solid foundation of form and endurance. Learn more about our Rookie to Half Ironman and Rookie to Ironman.
Minimum eligibility requirements
You do not need any prior triathlon experience to join the Rookie to Race program. However, to ensure your success in the program, please take a moment to look over the minimum requirements:
- Have the passion and determination to learn how to complete a triathlon.
- Have water confidence and can swim 1 lap (25 yards or meters), in any form of forward motion (doggie paddle, side stroke, breaststroke, backstroke, freestyle). Is the swim portion freaking you out? If so, get a head start on swim instruction by attending our very popular Beginner Swim Series. Not a requirement to join the Rookie to Race program, but it can give peace of mind, which is priceless! These series sell out so don’t delay in grabbing a spot.
- Ride a bike at least 2 miles (coasting counts).
- Be able to walk, jog, or run (or a mix of the three) for 1 mile.
- Must have a working bicycle (cruiser, tri bike, road bike, hybrid, mountain) and a helmet.
Other required equipment needs for training and race day will be discussed during the program.
If you would like to speak with a coach about the minimum requirements, please don’t hesitate to reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read a few testimonials from some of our Rookie to Race triathletes:
“What a great day! I enjoyed seeing our team members on the race course and hearing the cheering crew every time I went by! It was so motivational!”
“I just wanted to say how great it’s been training with all of you! I’ve learned so much and have gotten the push I needed when I was frustrated. Thanks everyone for all your positivity and fun, especially Coach Bree!”
“So very grateful for the awesome rookie-to-race team! We all worked hard for today’s race and it really showed! Great job, everyone! To Bree, you guided us well and we are so appreciative!”
“I have really loved your coaching and your program! I can’t wait for our first triathlon! I’m excited to continue the journey at Alamo 180!”
“Thanks a lot, Coach Bree!! I really enjoyed rookie training :)”
“Thanks for your training and support the past few months in preparation for race day!”
“I learned so much from this experience. I am totally hooked. Everyone from Alamo 180 was awesome, the coaches, supporters, and the athletes. I’m so blessed to be part of such an awesome group.”
“I’ll never forget the first day I joined Alamo 180. It was a swim day and I remember driving downtown thinking, am I crazy? Can I really do this? Do I have what it takes? What will those triathletes think of me? I was feeling very nervous, shy, and downright scared. I’d never been an athlete in my life and HATED exercising. I was overweight, out of shape, and felt very self conscious just putting on my swim suit. But I refused to give in to these feelings until I at least tried it. I had to know one way or the other whether this was something I could do. Boy am I glad I overcame my fear! Not only have I found my self confidence, but I’ve made friendships that I wouldn’t change for the world. That first day changed the rest of my life. Find your courage, you may learn something about yourself that you never could have dreamed.”
See some of our Rookies from past programs in action!