Coach BreeCONTACT TRAINER
Head Endurance Coach, Co-founder and Co-owner of Alamo 180.
”The winner is more than just the one who finishes first. It’s the one who doesn’t quit when things get tough.” ~Coach Bree
Why I created the Alamo 180 Triathlon Team:
Back in the early 2000s, I had aspirations to become a triathlete. I was a swimmer and runner, but lacked the skills and ability to ride a bike. I thought the approach of putting all three disciplines together would be easy, but I quickly discovered otherwise. I found myself struggling to find friendly and supportive groups to train with. I couldn’t find a swim group, so I ended up swimming alone. I considered myself lucky that I knew how to swim. I joined social runs at a local run store, but had to modify the distances so it would best fit my workout needs. Turning back early usually meant I was running alone. It took many attempts before I found a beginner friendly cycling group. I can’t tell you how many times that I was dropped on group rides. The worst was when I was dropped on parts of town unfamiliar to me. I made many phone calls to family and friends to come pick me up. I couldn’t build the community I so desperately needed.
When it came to the training plan, piecing it together on my own left me with more questions than answers. I would show up race day doubting my readiness. I also showed up on race day with no one to share my joy and accomplishments. It was then I knew there had to be a better way. There had to be a program that included swim, bike and run training all in one location, with the same group of athletes, to truly build endurance, confidence, and community. When nothing existed, and after many years of frustration, I decided to create what I so desperately needed.
Back then I was training for competition, and today I’m training for completion. What I have found is that both approaches work in a supportive community of motivated triathletes! No matter our end goal, we all achieve more when we work together!
Everyone is capable of achieving their triathlon dreams. They just need someone to believe in them and help them make it a reality. When it comes to leading athletes, my approach is to call out the gold. To celebrate every victory, no matter how small! To tell them “great job for swimming one lap non-stop, what a huge accomplishment” as opposed to saying “swimming just one lap non-stop is far off from where you need to be to finish that Olympic distance swim.” One of those statements inspires, the other shames. The athlete will achieve their goals in time, they just need to be encouraged and patiently guided. The training environment should be safe, supportive and fun! When we are supported, we flourish!
Coaching Services Provided:
- Beginner & Beyond Beginner Swim Series Beginner Swim is for beginner swimmers desiring to learn how to swim freestyle. Beyond Beginner Swim is for intermediate to experienced swimmers looking to improve upon their form and gain efficiency.
- Rookie to Race Learn the tools needed to finish your first triathlon!
- Group Triathlon Team Join a team of motivated individuals training for triathlons! Goals are better achieved together!
- Clinics Swim, bike, run clinics to help you improve form, efficiency and speed.
- Find my coaching profile & services on Training Peaks
Bachelor of Science in Nutrition from the University of the Incarnate Word
Master of Arts in Administration from the University of the Incarnate Word
- USA Triathlon Level 1 Coach
- USA Cycling Level 3 Coach
- USA Track and Field Level I Coach
- Aerobics Fitness Association of America (AFAA) in Group Exercise
- Certified Lifeguard through American Red Cross
- 60 Continued Education hours in swim instruction, over 18 years experience in swim instruction.
- Former Asst. Coach of the Men’s & Women’s track and cross country teams at the University of the Incarnate Word.
- Alamo 180 Triathlon Club receiving distinction of Best Triathlon Club by Competitor Magazine’s Best of 2014.
- Has successfully coached over 375 athletes (and counting!) since the formation of Alamo 180 in 2011.
- Successful coaching of over 200 Half Ironman finishes and 50 Full Ironman finishes.
- Coached 3 athletes to a Boston Qualifying time (2014, 2016, 2017).
- Alamo 180 Tri Club Team received distinction of 1st place Tri Club Team in Division V at 2015 Ironman 70.3 Texas, 2015 Ironman 70.3 Austin, and 2016 Ironman 70.3 Texas; 2nd place Tri Club Team in Division V at Ironman 70.3 Austin 2016, 1st place Tri Club in Division V at Ironman 70.3 Texas 2017.
- Years of personal and professional swim experience has made for successful swim instruction at Alamo 180. The transformation of non-swimmers to swimmers is too many to count!
- 2015 Ironman 70.3 New Orleans (PR) 4:49:19
- 2015 Ironman 70.3 Worlds Qualifier
- 2014 Ironman 70.3 Worlds Qualifier
- 2014 Ironman Arizona Finisher 11:23.02
- 2011 San Antonio Rock’n’Roll Marathon Finisher
- Olympic Distance Triathlon Personal Record (PR) 2:11:55
- Triathlon All-American Elite status, 2007
Express News article: Triathlete combines motherhood and racing. Full Article Here
mySA article: S.A. triathlete completes world championship race. Full Article Here
Aside from coaching, I’m a mother of two, wife to my best friend and co-owner, and a follower of Jesus.